10 Things People With Hearing Loss Wish You Knew
If you know someone with hearing loss, then you know communicating with them can be a challenge. I want to give you 10 things that people with hearing loss wish you knew:
- Do not speak to them from another room.
- Do not speak with your back toward the listener or their back toward you.
- Do not speak as you’re walking away.
- Do not turn your face away from the listener while you’re talking.
- Do not speak when background noise is louder than your voice.
- Do not speak without getting the listener’s full attention — they need to concentrate on what you’re saying.
- Do not speak if there are obstacles in front of your face; even a shadow makes it more difficult for them to understand you.
- Do not obstruct the view of your mouth while speaking.
- Do not speak rapidly or shout.
- Do not get frustrated with the listener; remember, most of the time they really do want to hear what you have to say.
We can help with better communication techniques. Our practice regularly hosts open houses and hearing events in which patients, their family, and their friends are welcome to come by and discuss their unique communication issues at greater length.
We recommend booking an appointment for a comprehensive hearing consultation so that our hearing care providers can find out more about your specific type of hearing loss and lifestyle. Contact us to schedule a complete consultation.